This a much healthier option than your typical stuffed potato. This works well for lunch or supper. Although I am using a white potato, feel free to use a sweet potato instead, if you wish. Also, feel free to add extra vegetables.
-approximately 1/4 cup of light cheese
-medium sized potato (about 6-7 oz’s. The potato I am using is 7 oz.’s)
-1 tablespoon of light sour cream
-2 slices of turkey bacon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While waiting for the oven to heat up, wash and scrub the potato, dry it, and poke it with a fork about 5 times on each side before placing in the oven so it doesn’t explode. I just place it on the rack with no cooking tray. Bake for 60 mins.
2. While potato is cooking, cook your 2 slices of turkey bacon.
Some guys may prefer the microwave. If so, place the bacon on a plate covered with a paper towel and then microwave for about 90 to 120 seconds.
Also, you can cook your bacon on a grill. (I personally use the George Foreman GR10B 2-Serving Classic Plate Electric Grill, Black) It’s easy to clean and is great for cooking other meats as well.)
After bacon is cooked, whichever route you chose, you should now break it up so it easily fits in the potato once it’s finished baking
3. Wash and cut green onion into thin slices for potato
4. After potato has baked for 60 mins, remove from oven and let sit for about 10-15 minutes as it will be very hot. After 10-15 minute have passed, take a butter knife and open up the potato. Personally, I like to remove some skin from the middle of the potato.
5. Place potato on tray and add 2 slices of crumbled turkey bacon and 1/4 of light cheese and put back in the oven for another 15 mins at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. After potato is finished baking, add 1 tablespoon of light sour cream, green onions, and enjoy!
-If you prefer chicken bacon over turkey bacon that’s fine. Opt for a leaner one if possible. The one I use is only 30 calories and 1 gram of fat per slice.